“I want to live until I die; not die and then live for 10 more years.”
A synopses of a lecture I recently attended by Jim Rhoades.
Rest: “Your body will exact revenge on you later in life for lost sleep. That is why they are called Rest Homes.”
Our bodies regenerate 1 Billion new cells per minute. That means that every seven years our body has replaced every cell in our body. Sleep is when most of the regenerating occurs.
How much do you need? 8 is ideal, 7 + is good. A 15 minute power nap is extremely healthy and can increase productivity, patience, reaction time, judgment, and short-term memory to name a few benefits.
If you increase your hours of exercise, increase your hours of sleep.
2. Stress: “Stress is the silent thief of your health”
Stress will burn energy needed to fight off illness. A stressed out person can have a cold turn into pneumonia overnight.
To reduce your stress:
a. recount daily what is good about your life. Find things to be grateful for and acknowledge it.
b. Fill your life with positive people and books. Find a core book that you can turn to for stability.
c. Perform a T. V.-ectomy. especially the news. Turn it off and leave it off. If something important happens your neighbors will let you know.
d. Find out way to work out your stress. Hint: exercise!
3. Nutrition: “I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand.” – Benjamin Franklin
Many foods are bankrupt in what we really need. Your body then sends the message to go looking for more food in order to fill the need. The 3 biggest killers last year were Heart Disease, Diabetes, and Cancer; all three can be headed off by good nutrition.
The average 80 year old has had cancer 6 times; but their immune system was strong enough to stop it before it manifested. Your cells need proper nutrition in order to fight off disease. You must have:
a. amino acids
b. fatty acids
d. minerals – vitamins and minerals work together; one without the other is useless!
4. Exercise: “Not exercising 5 hours a week, is like not vacuuming your house for a year”
We have 60,000 miles of lymphatic vessels in our bodies. These are what suck up the garbage and send it on its journey out of the body. Moving your muscles is what make these vessels work.
This means that if you do not move the garbage doesn’t leave your body. 72 hours of not moving makes you toxic and can kill you.
There is no way around it. If you want to live longer and be healthy you have to exercise.
You can follow Jim Rhoades on Twitter
Jim lives in southern Utah. He and his wife Kathy are the parents of 8 children and grandparents to a growing number. Jim has become a nationally recognized nutritionist, researcher, educator and popular guest on radio talk shows discussing proactive, intelligent health and wellness.
- Author (Road to Health)
- Life mission coach
- Instructor and presenter at George Wyeth College, America’s leading statesmanship university
- CEO and president of his own international nutritional products company for 7 years
- Close working association with many universities, testing facilities, biochemists, doctors of nutrition and master herbalists
- Twenty plus years of research in nutrition and disease prevention
- Guest speaker at Harvard Medical School, addressing The State of Food in 2004
- Lectures and presents seminars across the U.S. on health and nutrition